View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 08:08 PM   #113
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
with what we've just read the statistics were apparently 1-in-20, or thereabout. That's not all that helpful when it comes to understanding the true depth of suffering that the women who did get ill went through. So putting a sense of reality to those faces is a good thing (although going over top has, for me, the effect of making it seem like bad-fiction rather than reality). But dropping the statistic altogether, and writing in a way that gives the strong impression that all or most got ill, is simply wrong.
I just never had that impression, or (what would have been far worse) thought that Moore was trying to create that impression. It seemed obvious to me that she was singling out those who would/did get sick and telling their stories. That wasn't an issue for me. It was easy enough to infer, correctly, from the scenarios presented that the particular cases were the exception. Realistically, if this were a plague situation where the girls were dropping like flies, the companies wouldn't have been able to wage such successful defenses for so long.

Quote:
What went particularly wrong for me in this book was that I lost trust in the author. By the time we got to the examples of the companies doing overtly appalling things, Moore had given me such a strong impression of bias that I no longer trusted that she was presenting the situation appropriately (and I am still not convinced she did). I wondered if I was reading "fake news" and so started to look for alternate explanations in everything she presented.
Similarly, I didn't find her biased. Not that she didn't have a point of view and a case she was presenting, but I don't think it rose to the point of bias. I wish she hadn't played the violin quite so frequently, but other than obvious embroideries about hair pomade and private thoughts which while entirely deplorable were also easy enough to identify not only because of what they were, but also because she copiously footnoted in other respects, I thought she was scrupulous.

Last edited by issybird; 05-29-2018 at 08:11 PM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote