View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 08:05 PM   #39
Matilo
Zealot
Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Mars, kindle Paperwhite 2nd generation, kindle fire hdx 8.9
@ pdurrant
Where have you read a white state reflectance of 40.7% for the Triton colour display? Do you mean this source here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E_Ink_Triton This is not the official Eink site. On the official site https://eink.com/product.html?type=productdetail&id=27 they do not mention the white state reflectance anywhere.

As we all know the white state reflectance of a monochrome ePaper 1.0 (eink bistable, no color, just black and white) is about 45%. It would be very difficult to achieve 40.7% with a color filter. In fact all color eReaders of the past looked washed out some displays even as if looking through a tinted car window. And all three CLEARink displays in the video from the SID Display week showed a very good white state reflectance, also the color displays. It is interesting to see that CLEARink could keep the white state reflectance with 35 % on the same level for both color devices and the color gamut could strongly be improved even despite the dramatic increase in resolution.

But I contacted CLEARink and got some answers from Mr. Peruvemba. Some years ago he worked for Eink and even announced the Triton. He does not have the exact specs in mind but expects them to be around 15% (fifteen). I also asked about the ghosting effect. This is due to drive electronics that needs to be tweaked. He confirmed that this can be solved completely.

To me CLEARink seems to have the most promising ePaper / eColor solution I have seen so far. But still we have to be patient.

Last edited by Matilo; 05-29-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Matilo is offline   Reply With Quote