View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 05:49 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
But I'm with Meeera. If someone's nose is buried in a book when you start talking to them and they immediately go back to the book after responding, whether it's a short conversation back, laugh at the joke, whatever polite response they give you, do you seriously take that as an invitation to keep talking their ear off for hours?
I wouldn't, no. But then I'm a reader. I get it. But non-readers don't. They don't know how you feel about reading. They don't understand that you're not just reading to kill time. All they see is that you responded to them in some small way. Maybe they figure readers are capable of doing two things at once--heck I don't know. All I know is they're usually not trying to be annoying. So they deserve one of two things: our attention, or our polite but firm (and unambiguous) explanation why they can't have our attention.

Surely them being a little miffed at your no-nonsense request for peace (and being quiet for the two hours) is better than trying to teach them your non-verbal communication techniques for two hours and not getting to read your book?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-29-2018 at 05:52 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote