View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 11:39 AM   #8
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
These days, for me, I not uncommonly have people interrupt my day, tap my on the bloody shoulder, occasionally stand in front of me stopping me from moving, and insist that I remove my headphones just so they can ask me "Do you have a licence for that thing?" (my powerchair), then expect me to laugh at their hilarious original joke.
Well, touching someone you don't know is not a great idea. But I see this type of thing as someone trying to be nice. When did we start getting so angry at someone trying to make conversation with us? A simple chuckle or smile at this wouldn't cost anything.

People are mean and rude all the time...how did someone trying to be nice get turned into a bad thing?

I will admit to using the headphone thing on a regular basis in one situation...getting my hair done. The salon I go to is LOUD all the time. Loud music, dryers, lots of people. I have a neurological issue that makes me very sensitive to loud situations. I can't tune anything out, I've got no filters. It's almost like a panic attack thing. So I use a White Noise app on my phone and use earbuds during the 35 minutes I have to sit with haircolor on.

It's not that I am avoiding conversation, but that I'm trying to keep myself from feeling overwhelmed by all the noise.

When I'm shopping, or out in public, I'd rather try to pay attention to what is going on around me. For safety sake, and because civility seems to be dying, and I don't want to be one of those people who ignore others as their normal behavior.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote