View Single Post
Old 05-27-2018, 09:06 PM   #1571
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Interesting book, based upon skimming over the (extensive!) TOC. I wonder, too, why many of those dishes aren't prepared in this day. But something makes me think that the cookbook must have been published in the U.K., whose peeps have different tastes in food than us Yanks.

Church suppers? I hadn't thought of that possibility. I didn't look at the beginning of the book to see if it was intended for large numbers of peeps; but it seems that at least some of the recipes must have been for something like a large church. Or maybe a church with people with some very large _appetites_.
Yes, was published in the UK. I first heard of it as a teenager when I worked for a while with one of the publishing family's offspring and talking about books with them. Is written for the large households of the time, and includes the woman's managing of the household, husband, etc. Those not prepared to see those things as just being as how it was in history tend to get pretty angry about the book.

There were two very good BBC TV series on the history of food in Britain aired in the years around 2010'ish, called The Supersizers Go... and The Supersizers Eat... . The food was cooked and presented in a historic context - some of it was downright revolting and the 2 presenters looked decidedly sick when trying to stomach it . I did not see all the episodes but the ones I saw were very interesting - may have to hunt them out.

But the British aren't the only ones with what is now considered revolting food in their past, so I am not picking on them when mentioning the above .
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote