View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 07:40 AM   #14
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Thanks all for all the kind comments.

I was talking about this with my wife this morning and was reminded of another example.

I saw the feature film Spotlight in 2015 when it was released. This was a film rendition of the reportage that the Boston Globe's Spotlight team did that broke open the stories of child abuse in the Catholic church.

The film focused on a small handful of the thousands of victims. But at the end of the film, before the credits, a list ran on the screen of all Catholic dioceses and schools that had reported child molesters on their staff. The list ran for almost a full minute. And sucked absolutely every bit of air out of the room. I attended parochial school all my life, so this was always going to be a more personal topic for me, but my wife did not, and it affected her the same way.

As soon as I'd seen the film, I went out and got the book version of the reportage and it handled the issue in much the same way. Maybe it was because of that experience that I was a little numbed by the way Moore handled the victims in Radium.

I also really appreciated Bookpossum's comment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
That embellishing detracts from the story she has to tell, because it is so unnecessary. Looking at the notes at the end certainly suggests that Moore wasn't making up anything else, but it unfortunately does raise the question of whether anything else was the work of her imagination rather than verifiable fact.
This sort of fluffing does more harm than good as it makes real people into characters (or charicatures in some cases). I think that contributed to the villany of certain characters and the sainthood of others.

(At the end of the conversation, my wife - who is the human half of this house - reminded me that she was sure the method affects all people differently )
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote