View Single Post
Old 04-13-2018, 12:32 PM   #347
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittendrigh View Post
Most in this thread are missing the embedded video point. Video will become increasingly important as book reading habits evolve. Are you reading about Bonobos on the Congo River? A few well-placed video clips would be attractive to me. Embedded video is too big to download and store on a dedicated device. They will need to work more like browsers where video is streamed and not stored.

Dedicated devices as they are do their best to mimic the paper technology experience--which shackles the technology as a whole. Ebooks are more powerful than paper. If and only if they act like browsers.
If most in this thread are like me, I have absolutely zero interest in embedded videos popping up in books I read. If I really want to check out the Bonobos on the Congo River, my time would be better spent researching it from my PC and getting much more information about it than a random video clip from an author.

For me, the experience of reading a book consisting of only text will never leave me with the feeling that it's been shackled in any way. And reading a book of pure text is what I enjoy, I really don't feel it was a lesser experience because it didn't have color pictures and videos in it. I'd actually feel the videos were an intrusion on my reading time.

So in my instance, the dedicated ereader suits me perfectly and I wouldn't want anything more from it then easy readability, front lighting and long battery life. I wouldn't even care if it had wifi or not as I sideload all my book purchases.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote