View Single Post
Old 03-27-2018, 11:57 PM   #104
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I was thinking of other aspects, as much as hunting, of Hemingway's view of the world. As issybird referred to his, his portrayal of women, but also in his portrayal of other nationalities and beliefs, there is a condescension in his manner which, while not unexpected for a man of his generation, is a rather unsettling now. Unlike many writers who might be described as ahead of their time, Hemingway appears (to me) to be a man firmly entrenched in his time.

As to hunting, I grew up on a farm and all that goes with that: fishing, duck-shooting, vermin hunting, helping my father to kill and butcher beasts for the freezer. (There was, of course, some farm work as well. ) But my father also encouraged us to watch and admire wildlife, and not with the intention of killing what we'd grown to love, but with an eye to conservation. So I grew up somewhere in the middle ground between avid hunters and steadfast vegetarians: I do see a place for hunting, but I get dismayed when I see it done badly and with inappropriate targets.

Where I live now we see quite a lot folk that leave their comfortable city homes for the holidays and come out to the country to blast away at anything that moves. (They have their gun licences to allow them to hunt vermin on properties they rarely bother to visit at other times, so the guns are legal, but that doesn't make the shooters any more sensible.) Some of these holiday visitors also bring their cats down with them and I see them roaming our block at night looking for birds and sugar gliders and who knows what else. Christmas and Easter are especially bad times for wildlife in this area.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote