View Single Post
Old 03-16-2018, 12:46 AM   #131
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Amusing as I dreaded Hemingway and am really enjoying the Fry. You can only take so many white, male professors teaching you about dead, white male writers bit for so long during the course of a 4 year degree in Literature before you have a knee-jerk reaction against them. I think I had to read or write about Hemingway almost every semester.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Oh, I get it! (Even though I am a white, heterosexual male.) But I'm far enough past my college days (with an English co-major) that I have no memory of reading any Hemingway, though I know I did. And this book really worked for me, and got me past some recent bad reading experiences. I like Fry -- as a writer, as a narrator, and as a person. But the book we're reading hasn't really caught my fancy yet, at least in the description. But we'll see. I've bought it from Amazon UK, and will endeavor to get it read before next month's discussion.
I can really relate to both these posts. I dreaded the Hemingway; it turned out to be not as bad as I feared, though nothing I'd write home about (except that, being a book club, we're supposed to ). And I am a fan of Stephen Fry but the description of Making History really didn't do it for me (never has, which is why I hadn't read it). Still to get my copy and find out how it goes for me, I'm a bit more hopeful now after reading others' reactions to it.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote