View Single Post
Old 01-20-2018, 06:51 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfan View Post
I do the opposite, I let calibre maintain the files internally and create an external shadow tree of symlinks pointed into the calibre directory in the layout I prefer. That’s a little safer if you might want to move your outside tree onto a network drive or something like that.
- and that way, you won't lose any calibre functionality, or have to grapple with calibre's file naming algorithm.

I wouldn't recommend anyone use the technique I outlined in post#5, I just wanted to point out to HailCardassia that calibre does not prevent the functionality of the Operating and File System being utilised in creative ways, but you may lose calibre functionality.

Another approach would be to add empty books (i.e. with no format files) and use a custom column to hold a file URI link to the book format files in a different folder setup. You would have all the metadata based sort and search facilities (i.e. the catalogue) but none of the book format file facilities (conversion, send, save, editing etc) and to view a book you'd have to click a link rather than press 'V'.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote