View Single Post
Old 01-18-2018, 03:30 AM   #1
HailCardassia
HailCardassia began at the beginning.

Device: PC
When creating a library does Calibre create duplicates, rename, or use hard/symlinks?

I need something to manage my very large e-book collection. I tried Calibre years ago and didn't really like it but there aren't really any better options out there and I need a media manager for my ebooks.

I know Calibre builds its own library but I have searched around and haven't really found an answer on how it does this. Does it duplicate the files on your system, rename and move them, or hardlink/symlink them to the new location?

I have certain folder structures that I don't want messed with as well as files that cannot be altered. I also have about 300gb of e-books so I'd rather not have it take up twice the space by Calibre keeping a separate library nor can I delete the would be superfluous original files.

So can I add the files to Calibre and have it automatically create the new library using hardlinks or should I create a hardlink copy of the original database and use that to plug into Calibre?

Alternatively if there is a program that can manage ebooks in a similar way to how Yac Reader library does comics I would greatly prefer that. I haven't been able to find anything that does though.

Last edited by HailCardassia; 01-18-2018 at 05:24 AM. Reason: typo
HailCardassia is offline   Reply With Quote