View Single Post
Old 01-06-2018, 02:37 AM   #408
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Surprisingly enough, we have started doing our chili in the IP rather than low and slow in the Dutch oven like we used to.
I must admit though, our chili seasoning comes out of a brand-name box, so we might not be quite on the same chili level as some.
But my wife, who is a bona fide Texan, is perfectly happy with it.

A couple of things that come to mind that we still do low and slow: Spaghetti sauce with sausage and meatballs, and my wife's gumbo. We've tried various IP recipes for the sauce and, like Ralph's chili, they just never get that long-simmered flavor.

I don't think my wife has ever tried to do her gumbo in the IP, but one does not mess with perfection.

ApK

I have not yet had the gumption to try my pasta sauce (Italian, meat) in the IP, because like you, I feel that the flavors and spices need the long low simmer time; I typically cook my sauce for 6-8 hours on the stovetop. But I've been quite surprised at the depth of the flavor in some dishes where I didn't expect it--Stew, Stroganoff and the like. I had thought that if I used the thing for stew, I'd get viable meat, but that the potatoes would be mush, ditto the veggies, and I'd get no complexity of flavor--but that's simply not what happened. Potatoes were fine and the depth of the flavors was great.

I've considered making my sauce in the IP, but I confess that on "sauce day," for me, part of the pleasure is the making of it; the simmering; the smells in the house, the disastrously-sprinkled and splattered stove, etc. It's all much of a thing, "sauce day," so I haven't quite considered "just" using an IP to try to make it. (PLUS, I like to really MAKE SAUCE, and lots of it, when I do, b/c I freeze a bunch. The IP only makes, what, 6qts? That's not a ton of sauce.)

Chili? Another confession--I LOVE the Carroll Shelby's spice packet, and we use that mix all the time. It's the only boxed/mix food we use, of any kind, because we tasted it someplace nearly 40 years ago, loved it, and you know the saying--if it ain't broke...so I'll use that with a crockpot, or if I have time, a long/slow stovetop, too, but I see no reason that wouldn't work well in an IP, either. You'd get very nice, tenderized meat, and the beans are pre-cooked, anyway, so..why not?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote