View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 03:54 PM   #362
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
The review made it seem much more complicated to use. What makes it idiot proof for you?
Well, as APK mentioned, I RTFI'd. I mean, something like a plain old pot, I wouldn't bother (other than the non-sticks, to find out what I can/can't do to them), but a pressure cooker? Hells, yes, I read the damn thing, front to back and twice more, just to be sure.

Apparently, you no longer have to "set" the button on the top, so that it seals; it's done automatically when you set the lid.

And yes, there are a crapload of buttons, for yogurt, for stew, for soup, beans-chili, even EGGS. Oh, and stuff like "sterilize." I don't see how, unless you're the kind of person that sets out on a thousand-mile journey, sans map, you could really bollix it up. Especially around the safety features, like...you'd have to force the issue to end up with goop splattered all over your kitchen, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
The gracious presumption that most people aren't really idiots.

It's NOT complicated to use IF you do the few minutes of reading required to learn what features you can ignore, and how to use the 3 buttons that may actually matter to you.

That being said, I know of several people who gave up trying to use it because it was too complicated. I presume those people also can't text on their phones, and if they still have VCRs, they are flashing 12:00.
Yeah, what he said. The first time I used it, I admit to being a bit...cautious. But once I made some rice, and then a stew, I was pretty calm about everything else.

I have NO idea if it's got a boatload of features, compared to the non-uLtras, or not. I've sauteed/browned in it, made stocks, and the like, and it's rather handy not to have to mess up a bunch of other pots/pans, to brown a beef, or whatever. I did my stewmeat in it, after I'd lightly floured them--seared 'em, in batches, then removed those that were browned, put in more, lather-rinse-repeat--then threw in the stock, scraped up the goody bits, and put in the rest. I was truly surprised that a pressure cooker could make stew that was as good as my usual 6-8 hour version (stovetop).

That's all I know. I really don't think it's that complicated to use. I mean, how many MORE specific item buttons do they want?

I find that people are increasingly unable to follow even basic instructions. It's frightening to observe. I'm almost glad that I shan't be here to see the outcome of this massive dumbing-down, so that if there isn't "an app for that," people don't know how to do anything. I suppose the human race should be lucky (on the one hand--not the other) that procreation is instinct, and not learning. If it were the latter, mankind would be doomed. Of course, Apple would probably figure out a way to do AI using a smartphone.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote