View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 09:17 AM   #1
mdbenoit
Enthusiast
mdbenoit began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Zire 71
Thinking of buying a Sony Reader

Hi all,

I'm thinking of asking for a Sony Reader for my birthday (Kindle is not available in Canada) but the more I'm reading on it the more I'm confused. Some rave about it, but places like Wikipedia state "The Sony Reader PRS-500/505 screen has a very low refresh rate. This prevented Sony from implementing sophisticated interactive menu-driven software and scrolling on zoomed pages. This makes it impossible to scroll around a zoomed 8.5 x 11 inch document[3]. This means that the devices are not suited for viewing most PDF documents that are in 8.5X11 inch format. The PRS-700 has an improved screen controller which allows faster menus, paging and zoom. Unfortunately users have reported a significant glare in PRS-700 model, mostly likely due to the special coating that was added to accommodate the touch screen."

It also says that the Reader doesn't support Vista (I have Windows XP but my system is old and I'll soon change it) which could be a problem.

Should I wait? Is the above true?

It's a large outlay of money so I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing. Any help you can provide I'd appreciate. Thanks in advance!

M. D. Benoit
mdbenoit is offline   Reply With Quote