View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 10:23 AM   #23
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
My 2016 Oasis has a merlot cover that I like very much (well, except for that whole split-battery idea and somewhat glitchy connection anyway). It’s smooth leather, not the suede type. The debossing (I think that’s what it’s called) of the Amazon name is really well done; it’s very subtle.) I think it’s a great-looking cover.

I was surprised and disappointed by the 2017 merlot cover. The suede attracts dust and scratches and I think it might be less comfortable to hold in warm weather (I'm retired and getting ready for a move South). The Amazon name is much more obtrusive; it looks like the debossing has been filled in with a darker color. I don’t think the stand feature works very well so I’d rather it didn’t exist at all. I don't think it was worth the price so I’ve returned it.

I also got the waterproof cover in dark blue. The fabric is a bit rough and the stand feature doesn't work awfully well but the color is nice and the Amazon name is much less noticeable. I think the waterproofing will be useful, and the diagonal fold line is less noticeable than it is on the suede. On the whole I think it’s better looking than the suede one and it was cheaper, so I’m keeping it.

I have a slight case addiction so I’ve also gotten a sleeve from Etsy and have ordered sleeves from Amazon and Ebay and a regular book-style cover from Ebay. It's nice to not have to worry about the battery.

I’ll probably also order a matte skin to cut down on the slipperyness when DecalGirl starts making them but I’m not sure how well it will work. The back of the new Oasis is different from the older one (or any of my other Kindles). The thick part seems to have a curvier edge and there’s no lip to surround the skin. I’m afraid the skin might eventually start to come loose at the edges.

I like the screen size of the new Oasis but I’d gladly sacrifice that for the six-inch size if instead of completely abandoning that size for the Oasis Amazon had kept it and upgraded it by increasing the thickness just enough to have the whole battery onboard and adding the waterproofing and extra storage. The size of the smaller Oasis is much more comfortable for me to hold and the plastic lip around the screen is smoother and more rounded than the metal lip on the new one and also doesn’t stick up as far above the screen (possibly that’s a quality control issue rather than a design decision).
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote