View Single Post
Old 10-31-2017, 09:34 PM   #875
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Orphaned images are perfectly valid in an epub. And, it is legitimate to mark an image as the cover image and use something else on the first page of the book. It is more just a custom that the first HTML/XHTML file and hence the first page contains the cover image. But, what everyone forgets is that a kepub is not an epub. Kobo sets the specs for kepubs, and while they are largely the epub specs, there are differences. One of them is that Cover images must be contained in their own XHTML files.
Ahh, perhaps then my request is in the wrong thread.
If this is in the kepub spec, then this is a bug in the kepub converter, and it should be wrapping the image cover in an xhtml and adding it to the spine as it converts it. Or adding a cover if necessary.

Then I wouldn't need quality check to find epubs that need fixing -- they should be fixed on the fly as they are converted and sent.

If you need an example, there's no shortages. I think I've found one gutenberg epub out of 100 that has a html cover. Until you pointed out the problem in the other thread, I thought it was a bug in the stylesheets or css of the epubs, despite me deleting all of them to try to fix it.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote