View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #106
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I expect a lower price on ebooks because they have DRM on them. Can't be sold when I'm done with them, can't be lent to friends. Thus, since my property rights are less than with paper, I don't feel I should pay as much or MORE than paper, in the instance I mentioned, over DOUBLE the cost of paper....

For years, my reading habit was kept going by selling books on eBay/Amazon/Half.com when I was done with them. Then I branched out to buying books from library sales and selling those to keep me in reading material....

And while I may enjoy handling a printed book, I vastly prefer reading an ebook. Printed books usually have too small a font for comfortable reading. And they are much less portable.

I use Overdrive constantly!

EDIT: The other reason I prefer a lower price on ebooks has to do with quality. Too many times I've purchased ebooks that had quality issues ranging from typos to fonts set in a small size that *couldn't* be adjusted in my reader or margins set large that likewise were not adjustable.

In one notable instance, a technical book about making epubs, had some text in a color that appeared as light gray on e-ink and was nearly impossible to read! The same book also had images with text that were too small to read.

Illustrated books with low resolution images that can't be enlarged without turning into a fuzzy pixelated mess are also a turnoff.

I don't mind paying for quality, but it's very hit and miss! And comes down on the side of miss, more often than not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don't expect a lower price on e-books because for me, they offer more features.
  • I can read them at a more comfortable font size, on many different devices.
  • I can hold them much easier, because the devices I read them on are generally lighter than a traditional paper book, and I can read one handed as I don't need to use my other hand to turn the page.
  • I can carry many different e-books with me at once without having to carry a backpack everywhere I go, because I can store many of them on any of my devices.
  • If there are typos, or the formatting makes it hard to read, I can easily edit the book to fix any of these errors (even though I very rarely do this, it's nice to know that I can, if needed)

Shari

Sent from my PC using a keyboard
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote