View Single Post
Old 10-19-2017, 09:57 AM   #2650
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob00 View Post
Hi,

I inherited a Kindle Touch model D01200 WiFi, (S/N beginning with B011, so a K5, KT, or K5W) with firmware 5.0.3. Since I could not register it to my amazon account, I called Amazon tech support, and they told me that I needed to upgrade the FW manually, 1st to 5.1.0, then to 5.3.2.1, and then finally to 5.3.7.3 (the highest available for KT).

By mistake, I upgrade to FW 5.1.0 before I decided to jailbreak my KT. But I was able to jailbreak it from 5.1.0 anyways, following the instructions here.
Your asking about something older than yesterday - so I have to add up front a disclaimer: "My memory is not what it used to be."

Read all of the README*.* files included in the archive you downloaded.
Install the "bridge" package included.

Then:
Continue to follow Amazon's directions to update to the most recent firmware.
The "bridge" code should auto-install the jail break after each update.
Quote:
1st question, is it true that I need to upgrade the FW to 5.3.7.3 in order to register the KT to my amazon account?
Yes.
Only the most recent firmware for your model supports the modern Internet protocols now used by Amazon's network.
Quote:
2nd question, any reason I should not upgrade the FW to 5.3.7.3?
None.
And if there is something which I have forgotten about -
You still don't have any choice about doing the update, so do it.
Quote:
3rd question, if I want to upgrade the FW to 5.3.2.1 and then again to 5.3.7.3, how would I go about jailbreaking? I already jailbraked under FW 5.1.0, so do I now upgrade manually to 5.3.2.1, jailbreak it again under 5.3.2.1, then upgrade FW to 5.3.7.3, and then finally jailbreak it again?
See first answer.
Not to panic - there is always Kubrick.
Quote:
4th question, other than the **** JAILBREAK **** message, how can I tell if the jailbreak on my KT is still valid and working properlly? is there a way to tell if a kindle is jaillbroken?
If it is possible to install one of our add-ins that is packaged into a file with the name format of: update_*.bin (or any *.bin) then the device is jailbroken.
You can also find a dummy test package in NiLuJe's snapshot thread.
Quote:
5th question, what do I do next after the jailbreak, and in what order? Do I first USBNetwork, then do I install KUAL or Kindle GUI Launcher or MKK or MRPI? Do I install all of them, or are some redundant? Do I need Kindle Tool, or KUAL Extensions. All I want to do is install kindlets like the KOReader, Mangle, other usefull apps like battery level indicator and some games maybe. I will not be developing apps, or hacking. I don't even want to mess with screensavers or alternate fonts.
You will need KUAL
To run KUAL, you will need MKK
You **might** have to re-install MKK after any change in the device registration.
Using MrPI is optional with your model/firmware combination.
I don't recognize anything with the name of "Mangle"
The KUAL Extensions is a collection of useful things, you might want them but they are optional and not required to make anything else work.

You don't need KindleTool - that is the application that creates signed update_*.bin packages.
Quote:
6th question, Do I need to disable OTA on my KT WiFi, so that Amazon does not upgrade my FW silently or without my knowledge? if so, how do I do that?
Not a concern.
Amazon is no longer actively supporting the K5 (KT) model with firmware updates.
Their producing the last update was only so they did not lose store revenue by stopping older Kindles from connecting to the store.
So you will not be getting any more OTA updates (unless it is something that would negatively affect their revenue - I.E: Amazon still actively supports their income stream, but not the K5 model users.)
Quote:
Is there anything else I need to be doing to enjoy my Kindle Touch with some advanced features?
That is too subjective, only you can answer what it is that you "enjoy".
Quote:
Any suggestion and help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
KPVbooklet

Last edited by knc1; 10-19-2017 at 10:09 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote