Thread: Why ePub 3?
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2017, 06:28 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
I agree that is so and also add that it applies to the vast majority of books, eReaders and the needs of readers of the books too.

I am not sure the other respondents to your post are qualified to comment as they seem to not have the ability to understand and properly respond to your very specifically stated question . Perhaps they could start their own thread asking the unrelated question that they seem to want to ask here?
Actually, no. I'm quite qualified. And I understand the question perfectly. It's just that the question is utterly pointless.

What Jon (and apparently others) fail to understand is that "why make epub3s?" is just as random and pointless as "why not make epub3s?" So the answer to his question "why" is quite simple. It's "why not?"

The fact of the matter is, epub2 is no longer defacto. The majority of commercial epubs I buy from the major vendors are epub3 already. The few that aren't, get converted. Mostly because I prefer the epub3 rendering engine in my reading software. My epub library is quickly becoming entirely epub3. The fact that none of them contain any "epub3 specific features" (whatever the heck that even means) is entirely irrelevant.

My *.doc files all eventually became *.docx, even though the vast majority of them could have happily lived out their lives as *.doc (containing no features that .docx would enhance). Why? Because things change. And because I can.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-17-2017 at 06:33 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote