View Single Post
Old 08-22-2017, 11:33 AM   #1
Smannesman
Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo H2O
Lightbulb Looking to replace broken e-reader

For the past five or so years I've enjoyed my Sony PRS-T1 reader, but now it's unfortunately no longer fully functional.
Back then picking one was quite easy, but now it's a bit more difficult for me.
Partially because of my financial situation and partially because there is just more choice.

What I'm looking for is a good e-reader for primarily side-loaded books (I believe that's the term anyway) using Calibre.
The Kindle series is not really an option for me, Amazon is not particularly well represented in my country and since I don't buy my e-books through Amazon it just doesn't seem to fit my requirements.
From what I've seen so far several brands seem to be popular and readily available, namely: Kobo, Tolino, Pocketbook, Icarus and I've even seen one Onyx.

Now there are a ton of Kobo's, but the three most popular (and thus easily available) seem to be: Kobo Auro H2O (2nd Edition), Kobo Aura One and the Kobo Aura (2nd Edition).
I've read several bad things about the H2O concerning usage with Calibre and database corruption which is concerning to me. The Auro One is the most expensive which I'm not wild about (finances and such).

The Tolino Vision 4 HD looks pretty good on paper, but is also not cheap and I've seen some mixed reviews. But since it doesn't seem to be very popular among non-German speaking customers I haven't found a lot of information about it.

I don't know too much about any of the other brands unfortunately, which is why I decided to ask you guys about it.
It seems like a community of people that enjoy reading 'on the go' as it were would be a good source of hands-on information.

Oh and technically a tablet would also be a possibility, but I've liked how little strain e-ink puts on the eyes and the battery life of e-readers.
Smannesman is offline   Reply With Quote