View Single Post
Old 07-30-2017, 07:08 PM   #15
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Oh wait. It isn't 88% reading books. It is 88% have started a book. That makes more sense.
Yes, the way the question was asked it will get a positive response from most.

The question asked was Q1. During the past 12 months, about how many books did you read either all or part of the way through?

So that could get a positive response from someone who happened to pick a book and read the first page while waiting in a bookshop for service to buy a pen refill.

Or, reading a couple of pages of preview on Amazon.

Or, bored stiff in an airport terminal waiting hours for a connection, never reads books but wanders dazedly into the airport bookshop and picks up a book to browse with no intention of buying or ever reading.

Etc.

I could respond to the question and guess at 300 being the number of books I have "read" some, albeit little, of in the last year (I have no idea of how many but it is a lot). But I have not read properly that many.

The survey is flawed in a number of ways, but most seriously in the way I posted earlier. Also, the organization that commissioned it seems to me to live in some irrational dreamy fantasy land dislocated from reality; one typical indicator of that in their website is their almost exclusive use of Aotearoa instead of New Zealand when referring to the country (Aotearoa is the current Maori language name for NZ and is typically only used in such of by Government departments (and some other organizations) in a byline to New Zealand in their English name, in Maori business names, documents specifically addressed to Maori, as recognition of Te Reo during Maori language week, or by exaggeratedly PC fluffy speaking charitable or self interested organizations.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 07-30-2017 at 07:13 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote