View Single Post
Old 07-19-2017, 12:00 PM   #1
glasseyes
glasseyes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (7th Gen)
Whispersync oddities, certain books always reset to page 1 on Paperwhite: help?

Hi there,

I'm a new member here, having signed up specifically for help with a kindle question after amazon's customer service had me update software and do a fruitless factory reset without resolving much of anything.

Long story short, I'm having a few basic issues with my Paperwhite that aren't happening with my IOS kindle apps on my iphone or iPad, which both work as expected.

First, whispersync is clunky and rarely works the first time on the paperwhite. When I open the paperwhite after a day of reading on the iPhone, I get the popup asking if I want to jump to the furthest page read. Click yes, and it jumps forward a bit, but very rarely to the furthest page read. Instead, I have to close the paperwhite, open it back up and unlock it, and only then will it give the option to jump all the way to the furthest page. If I click "sync my kindle" it does nothing, just says no new items, and sits there like a lump.

Issue two: I tend to mostly read "docs" acquired elsewhere and usually converted via calibre to MOBI. I've found the least annoying method of getting these into my kindle library is to email them to my kindle email address, so that's usually been my method. Recently, however, two such books have been misbehaving badly—but again, only on the paperwhite. Every time I open them from the home page, they jump back to page 1. For example, the book clearly shows 28% over the thumbnail on the home page. Open it up, jumps back to page 1. I also noticed if press to change the page, that book will then jump to the final page of the book (100%). If I hit the "back" arrow, it then jumps to the 28% mark, where it should have been all along—but it only does this inconsistently. And even then, as soon as I go back to the home page or switch to a different ebook, the process starts from the beginning. Anyone have any ideas what the heck would make this happen only with my paperwhite? Also, why these particular books? I've read hundreds of books this way with no issues, and these two books were acquired 6 months apart with dozens in between, which have had no issues. The only thing I can think is that both were only recently downloaded to the paperwhite, and in close temporal proximity. But I've tried deleting them and redownloading and the same issues started up again.

Beyond the above issues, this kindle also refuses to auto update, or at least since April (I only got this model in January and my old Kindle Keyboard had zero issues over 6 years before this). I would try to make it update to the newest edition, but the option was greyed out. Today i tried to download the newest software, following all the instructions online, and during the process I got an error message that the software update was invalid. FInally wasted two hours with tech support who had to send me an alternate version of the software update (5.8.10), which did eventually work, but naturally solved none of the above issues. Amazon agreed to send me a new kindle, and I reluctantly agreed, but I don't really expect it to work any differently. It seems like the Paperwhite OS has some fundamental issues both with PDOC's and whispersync.

If anyone has any guidance, I would greatly appreciate the help! In the meantime, I'm waiting for a new kindle shipment with little expectation it will make much of a difference.
glasseyes is offline   Reply With Quote