View Single Post
Old 05-18-2017, 06:10 PM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I've had this happen once, quite recently. It did exactly what the OP describes on one of my machines (32bit calibre on 64bit Win10) but installed smoothly on my other machine (same 32bit calibre installer but on 32bit Win10). Simply restarting my 64bit machine and rerunning the installer before launching any programs cured the issue.

A subsequent calibre release installed fine on the 64bit machine even though it had been running for a week or so without restarting. I can only assume that some other program or service had left something in a "bad state" and when the calibre installer went to install one of its many components it found it couldn't and backed out everything neatly. In my case, Safe Mode wasn't needed, but if the problem app or service loads during boot it may be necessary to use Safe Mode to avoid the problem. In my case it appears to have been something run manually at some point.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote