View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 02:32 PM   #9
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I still do not see how publishers were ever able to sell cheap copies of books and not have them compete with the same book being sold at a higher price. It seems to me that some sort of market inefficiency that previously existed has now been corrected.
In my understanding it is generally the not quite new books that have the issue, not brand new books. Books that are no longer on the NYT "best sellers" list but had large first or second print runs in hardback or paperback that didn't sell out get sold (auctioned?) to discount sellers who then sell them for very cheap. Basically, the publisher doesn't want to store them until they get sold so they sell them cheap.

And then whine when they get resold for cheap.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote