View Single Post
Old 05-09-2017, 12:16 AM   #64
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
^

Cool; I was wondering whether or not I wanted to try it. Thanks for the rec!

Some $0.99/£0.99 historical novel bargains available from UK publishers Hodder and Orion in Canada & the UK (some may be US also; should be the same price in all the usual stores):
  • Eagle in the Snow by the late British author Wallace Breem (Wikipedia), a vintage novel set in ancient Rome about General Maximus (who was the inspiration for the Ridley Scott film Gladiator), originally published in 1970, which has its own Wikipedia entry. The UK also has a 1975 novel for £1.49 ($7.99 CAD): The Legate's Daughter featuring a kidnap and rescue mystery mission set during the time of Augustus.
  • The Wild Hunt (different listings for UK & Canada) by British author Elizabeth Chadwick (Wikipedia), 1st in her Wild Hunt trilogy of historical drama with f/m romantic elements, set in Wales at the turn of the 12th century against the backdrop of William Rufus aka William II's (Wikipedia) attempts at invading Wales. Wikipedia says this netted her the 1990 Betty Trask Award which was presented to her by Prince Charles. A few other titles also seem to be discounted at £2.99 and $3.99.
  • The Alchemist's Daughter (apparently Canada-only; UK has slightly different listing for £4.99) by British author Katharine McMahon (Wikipedia), a standalone 18th century historical drama thriller featuring period science natural philosophy and secret experiments to “breathe life into dead matter”.
  • Assorted novels by the late British novelist R. F. Delderfield (Wikipedia), in various time periods (mostly 20th century). I counted 5 each @ $0.99 & $2.99 at Kobo CA and 3 @ £0.99 + 5 @ £1.99 at Kobo UK, with more at slightly higher discounted tiers.

And if you happen to like those sentimental 1920s-WWII and UK-regional tearjerker and family saga novels that seem to be very popular in the UK, chances are good that a large number of them are discounted to $0.99/£0.99 as well.

Authors I spotted included Alexandra Connor, Billy Hopkins, Josephine Cox, Harry Bowling, Benita Brown, Pamela Evans, Joan Jonker, Margaret Thornton, Dee Williams, Rita Bradshaw, Kate Tremayne (actually 18th century Cornwall novels which are marketed as a Poldark-alike), Rosie Goodwin, Lena Kennedy, Anna Jacobs (also some 19th century immigration to far-off lands stuff), Pam Rhodes, Sally Warboyes, Jessica Sterling, Alexandra Raife, Hilary Green, who all appear to be doing well enough that they've had multiple discounted novels published which kept their names popping up in the listings while I was browsing.

Last edited by ATDrake; 05-09-2017 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Close parenthesis.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote