View Single Post
Old 04-29-2017, 08:23 AM   #20
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.M.DuBois View Post
[...] I literally asked for it. I'd be a douche if I just flipped people the bird for giving me what I asked for.[...]
Most people on MobileRead have been good, though I've seen a few that have obviously been less than thrilled with their feedback. However you don't have to read far on the 'net to discover more extreme examples.

In this case you did literally ask for comments both good and bad, but the thing to remember is that simply publishing a book is effectively "asking for it" - so don't be surprised when it comes. (I've remain unscathed so far, but whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is unclear, since people like to see a few bad reviews so they know - or think they know - the reviews aren't all fake. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.M.DuBois View Post
Would you recommend him? Should I go give his work a shot? I've never heard of him, which is why I'm asking. I know he was brought up in context of this thread, but now I'm just kinda curious if he's a good read or not.
It's a matter of taste. I guess that is true of all books, but Hailey was notable for his meticulously accurate detail rather than the inventiveness or excitement of his stories, so you need to be a fan such detailed work. Lots of people did like him very much - reaching bestseller status with many of his books, back when that still meant something.

Trivia: His book Airport was made into a movie of the same name, which was followed by various sequels ... which inspired the (comedy) movie Flying High! (or Airplane! depending on where you live). I think I've seen the original Airport movie once, and don't really remember it, but I've seen Flying High! several times and can even remember pieces of the dialogue.

Last edited by gmw; 04-29-2017 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Clarification
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote