View Single Post
Old 04-09-2017, 04:56 PM   #19
royconejo
royconejo began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox MAX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
I'm well enough old (too old ?), to can remember a time where the developers worked hard to have a code small, fast and efficient. A time (many years ago) where the memory and the CPU was used with measure to have the best performances.

Give more memory and CPU to a lazy developer and you can obtain a ugly and slow code that consumes the resources and the power. The extraordinary progress done by the hardware like Snapdragon processors could be lost.
That's correct. And people tend to forget that multi-core processors are parallel in nature. There are lots of things to do when a system has a QHD 60 fps display and a sophisticated nice looking GUI. But AFAIK, on a regular eReader the GUI is extremely simple and there are no other apps running in the background nor anything else to do while the screen refreshes. Worst, many apps from Google Play are unusable on this display.

So, exactly.. what would be the benefits of a multi-core eReader?

I believe this analysis has been done from the beginning. And as I said, I'm very impressed with the MAX speed on 1.8.2 firmware. So yes, I suspect they are (at least!) starting to do some software optimization to better use the hardware.

Last edited by royconejo; 04-09-2017 at 04:58 PM.
royconejo is offline   Reply With Quote