View Single Post
Old 03-04-2017, 11:38 AM   #1757
kmtouch
kmtouch began at the beginning.

Device: PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Well, my firmware download process probably won't work for you, but just in case...

I use my iPad to download the correct firmware (from the announcement link posted here) and save it in my SanDisk™ Connect Drive app's download folder, turn that drive on, and watch for it to connect to my network. Then I move the firmware from the app's download zone over to an "uploads" folder on the drive. Next time I turn on my laptop or my netbook, I just plug that drive and the Kobo in, back up the Kobo in case something goes wrong, back up the Kobo's database on the Kobo itself as a second form of protection, and then unpack the firmware ZIP file into the .kobo folder. Eject the reader, let it do its thing, and if all goes well, plug it back in and make a fresh backup to replace the one I just finished. This also gives me a chance to set the drive letter again, since Win10 doesn't realize that this is the same reader with updated firmware.

The uncommon part of that, of course, is the special wifi-enabled USB stick. However, if you've got one of those USB OTG drives that'll plug right into whatever mobile device you're reading this on, it oughta work in a similar way.
wow! I will try to update in this way. about wifi dongle, it doesn't seem rational to use an external device all the times. I do not need the wifi as long as firmware works properly.
most of the time books in pdf must be trimmed for ebook readers, so a laptop always is required!
Tnx any way

Last edited by kmtouch; 03-04-2017 at 02:59 PM.
kmtouch is offline   Reply With Quote