View Single Post
Old 02-17-2017, 10:59 PM   #40
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrzvnrnd View Post
I think that here there is another BIG misunderstanding with regard to electronic literature. That "electronic literature" will be text with some video inside. This is not electronic literature and this is not multimedia, this is "text with some video inside".
I'll try to make some example: I have build three EPUB3 in last two year. One is a reflow ebook with media overlay: a man record his phone calls to political figures and transcribes it. The EPUB allow to read the transcription and listen the original phone call. The second EPUB3 is a avant-garde novel that changes his chapters contents every month, like a ever changing book. The last EPUB3 is a electronic poetry book, with lyrics hidden, changing in time, moving in space according to reader touches.
So: no video at all.
EPUB3 is not only multimedia and the axiom "EPUB3=video" has impoverished the true potential of the format and made to believe that doing EPUB3 is economically unsustainable.
And, talking about APP, there are a lot of Apps that use electronic literature and have no video or multimedia at all: see Lifeline, or Alexandria. Some of those application had a good answer from readers, and could be ebooks instead Apps
No, I am not automatically relegating ePUB3 to movies. You misunderstand me.

But what I do think is that what you're describing aren't books or literature, either. They are likely something else; but they aren't books in the normal sense.

A document that's the transcriptions of some guy's phone calls to politicians? How's that a book? That's an audio file. The avant-garde or experimental fiction--which is basically a never-ending serial--that's probably experimental fiction.

However, that ePUB3 file cannot, and does not, change magically for the user. Right? It's not like you're reaching through the airwaves and altering the file without their participation. They either have to re-download or newly download or (insert something here) to get the updated content.

The poetry? Can't speak to that. Again, I've seen a ton of "experimental fiction" in the last 8 years. That would likely be what I'd concur is a book in the usual sense.

Just because you can create something in ePUB 3, or ePUB2, doesn't make it a book. I get what excites you, and all that, but again, to me, those are more apps than literature.

{shrug}

FWIW.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote