View Single Post
Old 02-05-2017, 02:25 PM   #8
wincel
wincel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite

Yes I've installed the March update. As I mentioned, it connected online just fine, but the Kindle itself does not switch the MODE after it has registered. It is stuck in the software thinking it needs to be registered - but registration never finishes or updates to "registered" locally even though it IS registered (I can see it online via website, I can send it books via website, I can buy books via Kindle). Which blocks me from using any of the software features a Kindle has once mode is switched to "registered".
NullNix do you think that could be what the open source pack contains? You think it makes sense trying to flash it?

I've bought a replacement Kindle DX screen and found some DIY websites for how to swap it. So I'm going to try that to fix the one with the broken screen. Can I then extract the 2.5.8. from the one with the broken screen to flash it onto the one which has the software issue? How would one do this? My husband spent a few hours yesterday to install Linux and get it set up as the "compile sourcecode and modify and flash Kindle" link laid out.

I've read somewhere that someone got blocked for providing his Kindle 3 (?) sourcecode because there are identifier in it. If the software from the broken-screen DX is extracted and flashed on the software-issue DX, would that be a problem then? How could one avoid that?

And no, I've no computer or programming background, really scrambling here as layman trying to find a solution ... I'm a scientist in biology who needs a large screen for PDF and diagrams, Amazon just tries to sell me the small 6" ones.
wincel is offline   Reply With Quote