View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 10:58 AM   #80
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha o View Post
Same goes for reading - the easier they try to make it, the harder it gets.
Subscribe to this list, that list. Lists don't agree. Now look for a third list. You have just wasted over an hour that you could have spent reading.
LOL yeah.

To be honest, e-reading is *hard* compared to reading a paper book, if you want to keep control over your purchases, and have a library worth searching.

Paper book: Go to store, buy book, go home, read. (Or order it online and wait for it to arrive, then read.)

E-book: Buy a book at Kobo/Amazon directly from the reader, and read.

E-books seem to be simpler, but you lose all of your control. If I want a library at home, as I had with paper books and make sure it's in good shape and future proof, these are the required steps:

- Install the correct version of ADE, K4PC, or Kobo Desktop.
- Install Calibre
- Install DeDRM tools
- Buy a book, and download it in the correct application
- Import it into Calibre
- Convert it to EPUB if its something else
- Fix the metadata, give it a cover if it has none
- Fix the book's internals (which, fortunately, became less necessary)
- Put the book onto your reader

With a paper book, you just shelve it at the correct spot.

I've spent SO much time the last five years getting my library into shape, it's just unbelievable. Did I have to? No, but e-books offer me many advantages over paper books. They take no space, font sizes can be set, readers have lighting, a 1400 page book doesn't weigh 3 pounds, and so on. Because of the unbreakable DRM threat, I bought hundreds of books during the huge 80-90% Kobo sales of 2013-2014, and acquired thousands of public domain books and 56 Delphi Classics, and ferreted out all of the Baen Free CD's and more. Basically, I bought/acquired everything I ever wanted, everything I thought I wanted, and everything I thought I might maybe possibly ever want.

I now have a little over 900 e-books (with the Delphi Classics often containing 10-20 books in one volume), and I paid somewhere between €0 and €3 for each one.

I did so to be able to own my own library, under my own control, for the rest of my life. So yeah, if you want to keep your own library, e-reading is hard and an unsure business compared to paper books.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote