View Single Post
Old 12-30-2016, 01:43 PM   #418
Kindle3w_Pdfs
Enthusiast
Kindle3w_Pdfs began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Librerator installation failure (using LaunchPad)

When I typed "Shift Shift I" to command LaunchPad to install Librerator 2 on my Kindle 3, I saw a "Failure" message displayed briefly at the bottom of the Kindle's screen. (Not surprising, Librerator didn't launch after I followed the remainder of the installation instructions.) Anyone care to guess what went wrong, and what I'll need to do to successfully install Librerator 2?

Many years ago I jailbroke my K3 (to install a screensaver hack). So I think the only preparation needed for Librerator, according to the first post of this thread, was to install LaunchPad, create a folder named customupdates (presumably in the Kindle's usb root folder), and copy the Librerator 2 zip file to customupdates. I assume the installation of LaunchPad succeeded (although I'm unsure how to fully test it) since I assume it was LaunchPad that displayed the "Failure" message. The zip file is still in customupdates; would LaunchPad have deleted the zip file if it had successfully installed the app?

I also tried moving the customupdates folder into the launchpad folder, but that produced the same "Failure" message after typing "Shift Shift I".

The Librerator installation instructions don't say where to create the customupdates folder. I guess the author assumed the user would have previously used LaunchPad to install a different app, so that the customupdates folder would already exist. I recommend the installation instructions be revised to say where to create the folder if it doesn't already exist.

Thanks in advance to whoever tries to help.
Kindle3w_Pdfs is offline   Reply With Quote