View Single Post
Old 12-19-2016, 10:12 AM   #14
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
First, typical life for today's batteries is usually estimated at between 500 and 1,000 full charges, or twice that many half charges or 4 times that many quarter charges, etc. I don't know where you got your figure of 300 charges.

Like all batteries, lithium ion batteries self discharge, meaning they discharge when you aren't using them. Other battery chemistries do that more than lithium ion but they all do it. Leaving it plugged in means it's going to discharge a little and then recharge, which is likely to use up your 500 to 1,000 cycles more quickly. Tests from batteryuniversity.com show that this doesn't make a lot of difference but it does make some difference.

The best way to prolong your battery life is to keep it between about 40% and 90%. Don't go above or below that and it'll last a little longer. Again, the difference will be small.

I've been buying Kindles since 2009 and all of them since my very first are still being used regularly by people I see all the time and I'm the one they come to for help with them so I see their Kindles all the time and talk about them. I live in a retirement home with a lot of neighbors who also have Kindles and I'm the one who helps them. That's been going on since the very first Kindle in 2007. I have a couple of neighbors with those. With one exception all of them still get reasonably good battery life. That exception is an original Kindle which was left in a drawer and the battery went bad from self discharging too low. That was the only model with a user replaceable battery so it was replaced and is still working just fine.

Just guessing I'd estimate that I know 20 or more people with Kindles, most of which are several years old. Several of them, like me, have multiple Kindles. All have reasonably good batteries.

My suggestion is to just enjoy your Kindle. Worrying about it makes it less fun and probably won't make it last a lot longer. You can be fairly sure that it'll last long enough that when it does die you'll be ready for a new one.

I currently have 4 Kindles and 3 Kobos and a Nook. I charge the one I'm reading every few days, usually 2 or 3 times a week. The rest I charge every Saturday. They're usually down about 15%. I do charge them till they're full just because it's easier on me and not very hard on the Kindle. They last and last and last.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote