View Single Post
Old 11-22-2016, 07:16 PM   #5
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank
DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Yes, I'm still here and still getting notifications. It has been a long time; I was really surprised when this showed up in my Inbox.

I don't think there's any plausible way of doing what you want in an epub document. With hard page breaks, you might be able to get all of the content correct, page by page, but the layout within the page would be all but impossible to maintain. You'd have to use forced line breaks, and even then you wouldn't get justified text. And if your screen were too narrow or too small, you'd get all kinds of crazy line and page breaks. The intent of epub and other such formats is to have text reflow and soft pagination, so the result looks like a normally-printed document. You'd really be fighting the format.

Finally, if you were to be able to tweak it just right for a particular device, you might find all your work gets broken with the next software update. And with my luck, the device would be discontinued the day after I finished.

My version, as you see it on the screen, came out well, and I'm quite happy with it, but I was learning the format as I went. If you look under the hood, you'll see that a lot of what I did was patchwork. I'd never do it that way again, but every time I think about cleaning it all up, I recall how much effort it was in the first place and just decide to let it ride. That's all a roundabout way of saying that I won't be making any substantial changes.

I think that, if anyone wanted to take a crack at formatting it exactly, the best bet would be to go to PDF format. You then might find a device/app that can show each page as a whole. If that's interests you, go here for an absolutely magnificent version. (By the way, that site was my source for the text that I formatted into the epub, and that PDF was my reference for what it should look like.)
DTM is offline   Reply With Quote