evianluw
Enthusiast
evianluw began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Well, let me try another of the obvious possibilities -

Check your firmware version -
Is it what you expect or did it update on you?
The reason:
USBnetworking is one of those that has to be re-installed after each Amazon update.

Oh, heck, don't bother, just re-install it being sure to remove the current one's configuration file first (it is normally left behind and you didn't show enough of the file system tree to know if that is part of the problem - such as a keyname flagfile).

If you can't reach the user's USB storage, your fall back is to use the newest JB on the device.

Did you mention having kTerm?
You should be able to use 'wget' (or 'curl') to download the package directly to the Kindle (/mnt/usr/mrpackages).

PS: As someone already suggested - you might be running 'diags' system rather than the 'main' system or running the 'demo' system.
Was this ever a "demo Kindle" ?
Well, actually I can reach the USB storage by wifi-ssh... so I'll install the kTerm first in case anything goes wrong then I'll go reinstall USBNet. Thanks for the tip — a terminal on the kindle would be #1 useful but I didn't discover this.

I don't know how to tell whether it's in the diag mode or not, however, as far as I know, all the features except for USB connecting are working fine. I'm sure this kindle was bought all-new, I opened up the seal. Not even with special offer.
evianluw is offline   Reply With Quote