View Single Post
Old 10-21-2016, 11:53 PM   #37
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
The 5.8.5 kindle firmware has a change that affects cover thumbnails for personal documents. A book downloaded from Amazon or sideloaded that is marked as a personal document (cdetype=PDOC) will no longer accept a sideloaded cover thumbnail image and will only show a generic cover thumbnail with the book's title and author.

Books marked with cdetype=EBOK still support cover thumbnails. Also, personal documents that were transferred to the kindle prior to installation of this firmware version are unaffected.

I have been sending books acquired outside of Amazon to my Amazon account as personal documents. This allows the reading position to be synchronized when I switch between devices. Unfortunately my kindle shows only a generic cover thumbnail for these books. In the past I have been able to correct this using the ExtractCoverThumbs program, which creates and sideloads a real cover image thumbnail to the kindle. This will no longer be possible going forward since the sideloaded image is ignored by the 5.8.5 firmware for personal documents.

The same will be true for books sideloaded using calibre if they were marked as a personal documents during conversion. In that case the cover thumbnail that calibre transfers along with the book will be ignored.

ETA: Upon further checking I see that there is an exception that personal documents delivered in the old MOBI/AZW format (not KF8/AZW3) still have their cover thumbnails extracted from the book by the kindle firmware and so bypass the firmware change that I documented.

Last edited by jhowell; 10-22-2016 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Add more info
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote