View Single Post
Old 10-05-2016, 12:27 PM   #67
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psymon View Post
As someone who's interested in reading your Shakespeare book I can answer one of your questions in your last post on that forum. "but in what way is does DRM "lower the value" ...?"

From a consumer PoV DRM reduces choice thus adding inconvenience and providing an increased chance of obsolescence.

Itunes DRM means that I must read that book on an apple device using the iBook app. Unlike Google Books, Kindle or Kobo, I do not have the choice of reading on my android tablet or computer. All DRM reduces choice but the iTunes DRM is the most restrictive of the main competitors.

I want the convenience of being able to use Calibre to keep track of all my ebooks (I tend to forget about books not in Calibre) and using my favorite third party readers. I don't want to keep track of books on several platforms.

Having lost ebooks to the combination of DRM and obsolescent reading formats, I will no longer buy books if I can't free them from DRM so that I can format shift and port them to an new platform if necessary. I don't want my bought and paid for books becoming unusable again.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote