View Single Post
Old 10-03-2016, 08:10 AM   #60
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit
Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, ADE
Harry and Jellby, yes, I can see your points about the definition of the word "derivative" -- although I do still see a difference between claiming "copyright" on an emended piece of public domain text and then also claiming "authorship." Being an author and being an editor aren't the same thing, of course.

But at any rate, I guess I'll wait to see what answers I might get (hopefully) on that copyright law forum, see what they think about this question. I thought that the other links I provided put an interesting slant on things, though, that one's HTML/CSS code is copyrightable, and that even if someone wanted to "steal" my text (and were technically within their rights to do so), they would be violating my copyright if they took my code.

In that regard, every book posted here posted in the MR forums is copyrightable by the ebook creators -- not for whatever public domain texts that they contain, but rather for the coding of the files that make them up.

That is, assuming that what those various websites is indeed true (and for what it's worth, I didn't find any sites that said no, your code is not copyrightable).
Psymon is offline   Reply With Quote