View Single Post
Old 09-30-2016, 03:14 PM   #34
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit
Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, ADE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
For one thing it would be legal so far as I know. A Copyright is challengable.
And CC is not challengeable? Copyright is certainly a legal declaration, too -- I don't know how something can be "more" legal than something else. Either way, a person could apply it to a work without it actually being applicable at all.

Quote:
Otherwise they are fairly identical. CC allows more specific instructions to be added to the document about what can and cannot be done.
I can put that in a copyright notice, too, though. Like, for the book Shakespeare (etc.) book I've been working on, the various plays I've reformatted more nicely, but I don't think I've really done anything that I could claim "copyright" over, I didn't make any changes that are of any great significance, really.

On the other hand, though, for the various Shakespeare poems (as well as the two works by other authors), there were all newly-transcribed by myself from original sources, with various corrections made along the way (which other transcribers have not done, from what I've seen), and thus these changes are "new," "original" and "significant," and thus merit my own copyright. Wouldn't you think so?

I can thus not only retain copyright over not only those various poems (by Shakespeare and others), but also over the entire collection (book) -- which is similarly thus "new" and "original" -- as a whole, too. Again, wouldn't you think so? If I've learned anything from this discussion right here so far, that is, in fact, perhaps the most significant thing that I've learned.

In any case, I fail to see how adding in a CC license to my book offers more "protection" than a simple copyright notice, let alone is somehow "more legal." I was looking at the CC website, specifically at their "Choose a License" page, and it would seem that whether I went that way (CC) or the "copyright" way -- or both -- either way if I post my book here to MR then I would still have to clarify that it's okay to download my book from here for free, but that I don't want people just appropriating it as a "free giveaway" on their own websites (for their own self-promotion), let alone stealing my efforts (code) and then slapping their own name and a price tag on it.

Neither a simple copyright notice, nor a CC license, is explanatory of that -- and even if I do add in additional explanation of those restrictions on sharing (or "stealing"), it's still not a guarantee that others won't do so, of course.

Quote:
You can post CC documents here at MobileRead. It depends on what you are trying to accomplish.
Surely one can post copyrighted stuff, too, though -- i.e. if the person posting/sharing the work owns the copyright themselves?

Sorry if I'm (over-)complicating all this! That is my problem sometimes -- perhaps that's why it takes me so damn long to make my books, actually.
Psymon is offline   Reply With Quote