View Single Post
Old 07-23-2006, 11:17 PM   #11
Gavrahil
Gavrahil began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librié
The problem with PDF is that it was created not as a reading format, but as a printing format. For this reason it was never intended to have capabilities such as reflow and cropping. The Acrobat started implementing them a few versions ago, but they are sketchy features at best and many third-party PDF readers such as xpdf don't support them at all.
So if you tried to read a PDF which has been created on an A4 template on a screen that is only 12x15 cm big you don't need to be a genius to know what happens.

It is possible to create PDFs that will look absolutely gorgeous on the iLiad since the iLiad has near-print quality screen, but you need to do it right:

1 - Extract the text/images form the file you want to prepare for the iLiad. How you do it depends on the filetype. Just google for any extractor software which exports the raw (I repeat this, since it's really important: RAW) text-data. Some very good extractors conserve things like italization and stuff, but don't count on it.

2 - Import your data into a decent wordprocessor like OpenOffice Write or Microsoft Word and format the stuff like you want to have it. A tip at the sides: use A LOT of formatting templates and name them decently, so you can easily convert the stuff for future readers. Else you'll have to do the whole thing from scratch again.

3 - Create your PDF with the correct template (12x15cm page and decent quality print with 16 colours) and voilá!

I'm sorry. I know you're groaning in front of your screen right now, but this is the only way to do a decent job, and there is simply no easy way to get there, if you want a truly first-class reading experience.

I have though a bit of good news for you, or to be more precise a glitter of hope at the horizon: OpenReader.
For those barbarians of you who have now question marks floating over thier heads (just kidding), OpenReader is a newly developed file format, which has specifically been developed to cover both printing AND reading, so it comes with all the sweetness of configurable imaging, reflowability and the such. And I heard rumors that they are developing a reader software for the iLiad.

So keep your fingers crossed and pray to the gods of e-reading.
Gavrahil is offline   Reply With Quote