View Single Post
Old 09-11-2016, 03:44 AM   #73
rmgvs
rmgvs began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura h20
Your link about how the IR touchscreen (probably) works is interesting. Based on this idea I cleaned all plastic parts (back and cover) with water and tried as good as I could to rub all parts from dust particles etc.

Many of the intermediate tests I did earlier were without the bezel on. Hard to believe this plastic part is a crucial element in the chain of the IR journey? So not surprising then that I alway get the 'water on front' message.

So did I understand that correctly: the plastic bezel at the front is needed to function properly?

Anyway, here is the thing, after reassambly I got some parts of the screen for some moment of time working again! But inconsistently so, one time some working, at next boot-on nothing etc.

So: could it be the case that some part of the bezel has some bending (maybe even not to be seen with the eye, internal bending?). Or that the screen is less than perfect straight? Of that the bezel lies on top of the screen just a mm too low or too high?

I scraped all glue leftovers from the bezel, I tried to make it as clean and flat as possible. Of course I did not try to glue/attach it yet so just tested with the bezel on front by pressing with my hands.

See attachment for possible failures?

How can I test the situation with some other trick or substitute bezel?

And now I'm wondering also how it is possible that so many people did tear their H2O open (not easy! lot of prying and bending of the bezel needed, see some video's on the net) and could reassemble it again to get a working unit again!

Seems to me that IR-technology (in this way) is very vulnerable. If this is all true I would opt for capacitive touchscreen next time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot600.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	151527