View Single Post
Old 09-04-2016, 12:25 PM   #46
glenm125
glenm125 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad and Android smartphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaylor View Post
Check the menu items under Prefer. By default, Skip Book is checked. To do the update you want, select Download Book instead.
Actually, this doesn't do quite what I want, and I think the difference may center on the concept of identical books.

For example, some book in my Calibre library is fanfiction - it is incomplete on first download, and extended from time to time with additional content. I added it to my library using fanficfare Calibre plugin, which (I believe) generates an EPUB. Later I have updated, thereby (I believe) generating a new EPUB which replaces the old for the same book.

In MR, I read the previous iteration of the book, establishing a last read position.

Now in MR, I download the book from Calibre again. If I elect to skip books I already have, it doesn't download the changes. If I elect to download anyway, it creates a complete separate book, and my reading progress is 0 in the new one. What I would like to have happen is, the newly downloaded metadata and file replace those already in the MR library. Except the read position, which ideally would become the latest of Calibre or MR.

I suspect MR is deciding these aren't the same book because the files and metadata aren't bit-for-bit identical (as described in the FAQ). While this rule probably works very well for traditionally published content, it doesn't seem to be the best test for fanfiction, which by its nature is extended over time.

In Calibre there is an Ids tag that uniquely identifies according to the upstream source and ID there .. but I don't see such tag when I view the book metadata in MR. Perhaps it isn't included in the OPDS source you have access to. But if that Ids tag were included in the OPDS, it would probably provide a more helpful match possibility than the bit content.

For benefit of others with the same issue, there is a workaround. The existing book in MR shows non-zero read progress (the little circle icon to right in the library list view). Open the original copy to determine the position in the book. Then return to the MR library, delete that original copy, and open the new copy. Advance to the desired read position (using TOC). It is a few steps, and tedious if you have many books (made more so because you are probably in Most Recent sort to see the updated books, but to see the other copy you'd probably want a different sort), but is functional.

HTH

glen
glenm125 is offline   Reply With Quote