View Single Post
Old 08-29-2016, 03:22 PM   #9
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
You want everything in Calibre. I'm managing ~10,000 books and it works well if a bit slowly. It takes a bit of work to set up but makes life a lot easier integrating multiple sources of books.

Tips:

* Make sure to add the Apprentice Alf plugins so you don't run into any issues with store-only books. Otherwise your books might have trouble being imported into Calibre or sent to your device.

* You can set up auto-merge settings so that if Calibre detects you are adding a duplicate book it just merges the records. This is not foolproof - sometimes it doesn't detect identical books or it thinks a book is the same even though it's a different edition or version. But it helps a lot.

* You can add metadata in Calibre that will help organize your books on your Mac. Also, some ereaders or ereading apps recognize Calibre tags. I prefer the FBReader app.

* You can use Calibre to update book titles to indicate if they are in a series or other key facts, if your ereader doesn't recognize Calibre tags.

* When editing metadata in Calibre, you can use tag search/replace to standardize tags. EX: I got several books tagged Action, Adventure, Action/Adventure, Action & Adventure, etc. I used tag search/replace to make them all the same tag without having to update each one individually.

* If you have a favorite TV show or movie, you can find free fanfiction for it and download that into ebooks with Calibre and the FanFicFare plugin. It's a nice little extra.

Last edited by Rbneader; 08-29-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote