View Single Post
Old 08-26-2016, 04:49 PM   #13
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST rocks like Gibraltar!DaltonST rocks like Gibraltar!DaltonST rocks like Gibraltar!DaltonST rocks like Gibraltar!DaltonST rocks like Gibraltar!DaltonST rocks like Gibraltar!DaltonST rocks like Gibraltar!DaltonST rocks like Gibraltar!DaltonST rocks like Gibraltar!DaltonST rocks like Gibraltar!DaltonST rocks like Gibraltar!
 
DaltonST's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,219
Karma: 100494
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas
Device: 8" Win10 Tablet w/Calibre64
DSR

@tekwrite:

See the Original Post. It says what DSR does and how to use it:

Quote:
Drag search result Name/Location lines from search software, such as 'Agent Ransack', to this plug-in's drop-target, and Drop them. DSR will automatically 'mark' the respective Books within Calibre, and update the GUI showing only those marked Books.

The Dropped search results must pertain to the current Calibre Library, of course.
The key words are "from search software, such as 'Agent Ransack'."

Obviously, there is a lot of other "search software".

For Windows, there is Windows Search, X1, Agent Ransack, and more

Personally, I use "Everything" from http://www.voidtools.com/ for file name searches. It does not do "full text" searches as the others, but it is lightening fast and has a very minimal footprint to do what it does, and it does it perfectly in real-time.

For "full text" searches, I use AstroGrep from http://astrogrep.sourceforge.net/, because 99% of my full-text searches are searching the Calibre Python source code downloaded from github. AstroGrep is a great tool for doing so. It is the Windows version of the Unix utility. For the remaining 1%, I use Agent Ransack.

All of the above can be used with DSR.

Within Calibre itself, I use Multi-Column Search for full-text search of the contents of non-fiction ebooks. No need for DSR, since MCS is a Calibre plug-in. You can stay inside the envelope of Calibre to do the searching. MCS has an extremely small footprint for doing full-text searches since it uses a TXT format of books as a "virtual column". Convert an epub to text one time, and search it a thousand times. 1-time conversion to text "cost" is amortized over a great many searches. Text versions of epubs are tiny, so the disk space is trivial. Also, MCS has additional add-on functionality to Full Text searches that cannot be found anywhere outside of the Calibre envelope. Example: use of the powerful "Final Filter" option, plus the "All Authors' Books" option, simultaneously with the Full Text searches.

Up to you to choose what is best for you based on your personal preferences, and your personal search environment ("casual at home" or "your job depends on it since you do it all day every working day" in a business environment).



DaltonST

Last edited by DaltonST; 08-26-2016 at 04:52 PM.
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote