View Single Post
Old 07-13-2016, 01:12 PM   #10
medwatt
Zealot
medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle 3 (dead); Nook ST (dead); Sony PRS-T1; Onyx i86+
Quote:
Originally Posted by algert View Post
Hi would you mind sharing how you did this as many users (incl. me) are facing this problem. would be ab-so-lu-te-ly great if you can provide method and sources

thanks!

Firmware version 1.0.05.11130 is parked here
http://www.sony.nl/support/nl/conten...130-win/PRS-T1

or here
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...nhJMGdVMVYxak0
Hello,
I followed the procedure described in this post and successfully downgraded from 1.0.07 to 1.0.05. You need to know a little bit of linux to know what to do if things don't go exactly as written. Let me quickly summarize what you need to do.

1. Flash restore-set to force the system to have v1.0.05. This is necessary because the rupore-rescue works on v1.0.05. The firmware will continue to read v1.0.07.

2. The rupore-rescue zip has two items; a folder "OS firmware" and a file called gserial.inf. Copy the "OS firmware" folder in the rupore-rescue zip to the root of your external SD card.

3. Turn off the device and boot into recovery mode (hold back and home buttons while the device is being turned on). The device wont be recognized. Go to device drivers, look for the device and use the gserial.inf as the driver file. Take note of the port number of the device (something like com18 or whatever). The device will now be recognized and you will be asked by windows whether you'd like to format the disk. Say no.

4. Open putty, change to serial, put in the port number and log into the device.

5. Type root and you now have root access to the device.

6. Mount the sdcard : mount -t vfat /dev/mmcblk0p1 /initrd/mnt/sd

7. Make a backup image of the internal storage (about 1.8GB) on the sd-card (takes about 10 minutes) : dd if=/dev/mmcblk2 of=/initrd/mnt/sd/mmcblk2.img

8. Take out the sdcard, put it in your phone or something else and copy the file mmcblk2.img to your computer.

9. Use a hex editor (I have editpad pro) and replace all instances of 1.0.07.05070 with 1.0.03.11140 (there are 3 of them). Save.

10. Copy the file back into your sdcard, insert into the reader.

11. Reboot the device back into recovery just to make sure that the reader has read the sdcard.

12. Now, restore the modified image : dd if=/initrd/mnt/sd/mmcblk2.img of=/dev/mmcblk2

13. Reboot the device (not recovery).

14. Run the 1.0.05 installer and you're done.

Last edited by medwatt; 07-13-2016 at 01:16 PM.
medwatt is offline   Reply With Quote