View Single Post
Old 06-26-2016, 07:39 PM   #43
Nelebh
Nelebh began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue T62+, Kobo Clara HD, Hanlin V5 (not in use)
I'm also waiting for the Kepler Pro (and very impatiently I must add, since my currently and only ereader is a more-than-aging, first-generation ereader, the Hanlin V5) and I want to share with you a couple of things that hadn't been mentioned here before. This is my way to thank you for the follow-up of this ereader and other news I've read here before. This is truly the way to go to be informed of the latest news. Nothing escapes the watchful eye of the Mobileread community!

First, it's not as if it's news anymore, since everyone reading here must have seen the videos of the Kepler Pro and the official photos, but in May a Japanese's blog had both the Onyx Boox Kepler Pro and the Boyue T63/Shine/JDRead/whatever to review. And he wrote a little about both. I will post these links here, in case you want to go check them using Google Translate or any other. And what I could understand from it.

1) Onyx Boox Kepler Pro: Unboxing and first impressions, second impressions.

Not much to see, aside from a few close photos, and short impressions. In the first link, the facts we already know: 16GB of internal flash storage, Wifi b/g/n + Bluetooth 4.0, 3000 mAh battery, and that it is stated that it indeed weights less than 205 grams (and the casing box was indeed smaller than before and only 338 grams in total).

In the second link: It is said that the most significant change is indeed the screen, that now is flat (as well as 300ppp) and that the touch accuracy seems to be better than before. (Because of the increase of RAM?) The metallic finish on the back seems to have a similar feel like a Macbook Air. (And how's that? Pretty good, no? I'm a Surface girl myself, I haven't touched a Mac.)

And a thing I'm wondering about: The capacity of the internal storage is now 1GB. And it mentions apps and Google Play. Plus in the photo it does show a 875MB label as well as a 133MB, which I suppose is that it had 875MB free and around 133 occupied. But that means that the you only have 1GB of storage available for apps, and what? 15 GB to use for mass storage, books and such? Woah, why partition it at all and separate it, and why does Onyx limit the app storage so much? And if in the Kepler Pro it's 1GB, how much do you usually have in, say, a C67ML for app storage?

There's no back button. So it is complained that in some situations you can't return to the previous screen, which does seem pitiful and lacking. I wholeheartedly agree. It's a poor design decision. Why do you even bother making two buttons to change page when you can just tap on the screen, (I like choices, I do, but I could live without physical turn buttons) but you don't make a back button which is essential on any self-respecting Android device? There's also a mention later to it, which says something about software configuration, but for the life of me, the automatic translation is so bad I can't understand if there is indeed an option on the settings to configure a physical button as a back button, or not.

And oh, I've just realized that there is indeed something more, but not directly related to the Kepler Pro: Onyx must be preparing an upcoming update to the Boox launcher. It seems to be called Smart Launcher 3, and it has most importantly: 1) an app-switcher screen, as in stock Android with the recents button, 2) a fast reboot option which frees the memory (RAM in use, I suppose), 3) a screen rotation shortcut with automatic settings for each application, 4) a Fast Notepad? app, and 5) a Handwritten app that, attention, can be synchronized with Dropbox! It does mention the compatibility of the new launcher with the i86ML plus, so I assume it would be launched as a new software update available to almost all devices, not only the last ones.

2) Boyue T63: Unboxing and initial impressions, second impressions and third impressions.

I will post that part fully in the appropriate thread.

Last edited by Nelebh; 06-27-2016 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Fixing typos.
Nelebh is offline   Reply With Quote