View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 04:07 AM   #34
noonscoomo
Enthusiast
noonscoomo doesn't litternoonscoomo doesn't litter

Device: txtr reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
I guess I'll throw out a few questions...
  • How many shades of gray will it display?
  • Is the screen glass or plastic?
  • What is the expected average battery life? (in terms of page flips, if possible)
  • Will there be a built in web browser?
  • Will the platform be open to other software developers? Nevermind... I should have read more carefully.
  • Why was microSD chosen as the external media format?*

*(I must confess the occasional frustration with trying to insert or remove these tiny things)
It will display 16 gray shades

If it's glass or steel or plastic depends on the display maunfacturers. Today there are only glass displays available and only for those we have guarantees. But I heard rumors, that primeview is close to mass production. ;-)

It is not serious to tell a "page count" battery life. This is a theoretical value and has absolutely nothing to do with the question, how long you would be able to read without recharging. This depends a lot on how fast you read, how often and how long for example. I can answer in this way: "is it possible to read some books on vacation by reading 4 hours a day without recharging?" Yes, but not if you use the UMTS modem often.

It will have an html/css renderer. This is necessary to display epub.

microSD is the next standard. Have a look to an electronics market, go to the corridor with the SD cards and count what you see most ;-)
And believe me, you will not change the card that often. It's more an upgrade option. Can you imagine how many books and documents will fit on 8GB. And you will have much better ways to and from the device then SD Card...
noonscoomo is offline   Reply With Quote