View Single Post
Old 05-22-2016, 06:44 PM   #87
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
FWIW, assuming the thing is not indexing and wifi is off, I've found a massive dependence of internal battery life on lighting level, far more so than on my old PW1. With the light at 10--12, the internal battery drains in about four hours: with it at zero (which on the Oasis actually *is* zero), it lasts astonishingly long, draining by about 5% an hour, i.e. being pessimistic, maybe fifteen-plus hours from the internal battery alone, which would give something like 50--60 in the cover (!!!).

I'm amazed by these figures, but I just read for about twelve hours spread across two days without sticking it in the cover and with the light and wifi off, and the internal battery (measured by briefly chucking it into the cover so I get percentage figures) is still at 30%! I've done a couple of total discharges now, and lots of partial discharges, so the charging circuit should have a good idea what the discharge curve looks like, and these figures should be fairly accurate: even if they're not, twelve hours is a hell of a lot longer than the 4--6 I get with the light at 10. I read fast and have probably read at least 1300 pages in that time (I was reading periodicals, so it's hard to tell). I suspect that the power consumption of the other components of the Oasis, including the screen, has been driven down so far that the loads of lights are now a huge proportion of the total power draw.

Of course, with the lights off the screen is not a pretty white and you might need an external light, just like actual paper -- but if you're away from external recharging, this might be a thing worth knowing.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote