View Single Post
Old 02-27-2016, 12:54 AM   #14
pjmpjm
Zealot
pjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Fire HD 10
That Dratted USB Cable Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It may not be your cable. Some USB ports (either end) have power management that 'shuts down to 'Save Power". Check the ports Properties for a power Management tab
Thanks very much, theducks. That does indeed seem to be worth a try. Would explain the 'on again, off again' nature of the problem. As you no doubt recall from my earlier laments, it was the failure (albeit intermittently) of the Fire-to-Calibre cable connection that led to this whole range of issues. If I could get the Fire to talk reliably to Calibre on my computer, all would be well and I'd be a happy camper indeed.

Worth noting is that the computer continues to consistently charge the Fire device (at a low level) through the USB cable connection even when it's not talking to Calibre.

As well, I have three USB ports on my laptop, and have experimented with all three, to make sure that I don't have a single wonky port.

As suggested by others, however, the most likely (IMHO) cause of all this is the Fire HD 10 software. That's why a dreaded 'reset to factory defaults' is looming.

Last edited by pjmpjm; 02-27-2016 at 02:10 AM. Reason: clarity
pjmpjm is offline   Reply With Quote