View Single Post
Old 02-22-2016, 12:21 AM   #8
baggins41
Enthusiast
baggins41 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
As the master said, this problem usually indicates an overzealous antivirus. But I suppose a more definite way to find out would be to run calibre in debug mode. On the command line, type:
Code:
calibre-debug -g
Then try to open a book in the viewer/editor.

Hopefully a useful error message will show up.
I suppose I should have posted my output from that at the beginning. Here is the output I got from calibre-debug upon opening the program and then attempting the "Edit Book" command:

Code:
calibre 2.50.1  isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-8-6.2.9200 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '8', '6.2.9200')
Python 2.7.9
Windows: ('8', '6.2.9200', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Successfully initialized third party plugins:
Qt: Untested Windows version 10.0 detected!
Unable to set queue size on tablet. The tablet will not work.
Starting up...
Started up in 3.64 seconds with 1508 books
Worker Launch took: 0.144999980927
Wasn't much help I'm afraid. Subsequent launches would simply hang after the "Qt: Untested Windows version 10.0 detected!" message (which is what inspired me to try the version with the earlier Qt library.

Fortunately, after much random testing (shutting down Windows Defender and SmartScreen filter, killing non-critical processes, and shutting down completely unrelated services), I've finally managed to narrow down the problem to one specific Windows service: WTabletServiceCon a.k.a. "Wacom Consumer Service". If I kill it, everything works great. If I restart it, all the problems come back.

I have no idea why Calibre is being affected or why this is suddenly acting up now (I've been using my current Wacom tablet with this system for a couple of months), but no one ever accused Wacom of making great drivers.

Thanks for the tips guys. Hopefully this thread will be helpful to someone else if they get bitten by this in future.
baggins41 is offline   Reply With Quote